Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Top Secret: Mission HP

So in case one couldn't tell, I've sort of been on a Harry Potter kick as of late. I've watched the musicals done by Starkid Productions, watched several bits and pieces of the movies on ABC family, and realized that I don't remember as much as I should for this final movie that comes out this summer. So I'm rereading all of the books. All seven. In a week. So far I've knocked out three in two days, so I think I'm doing pretty well. Granted, those were the smaller ones. We'll see how I do with the larger ones. I know what (some of) you are thinking: Is she nuts? Who really reads that fast? Truth is, I do. I really do. It used to drive my parents insane when I'd finish books in a day or two that would take others weeks to read. I've been told that speed reading doesn't exist. I've read articles that say it does. One that I remember explained why most people can't read that fast. Most people read with their left-brain, which vocalizes the word in his or her head. Speed readers don't vocalize the words in their head. They, instead, use the right-brain, which allows them to see images or pictures instead of vocalizing the word. [Here's the article for anyone interested...] That's how my brain works. It doesn't work with textbooks or reading the newspaper, but it definitely works with novels. Sometimes I don't even remember looking at the page, but I can tell you what had just happened because it's like I've got a movie screen in my head. There's a noticeable difference between how I read informative brochures and how I read novels. There's also a large speed difference. Anyway - I've gotten off topic. The point is, I'm aiming to have the remaining four Harry Potter books read in the next five days. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment